If you’ve decided to build a custom home in the Twin Cities you’re going to need to hire a custom home builder. Maybe you’ve already got some names of companies to choose from. Word of mouth is a great way to find a home builder for your project because you can talk to past clients to find out all about their experience using that builder, but you’ll still have questions to ask before hiring a custom home builder.
Even if you already have some recommendations, choosing a home builder is a difficult task, especially if you’re new to the home building process. Even if you find the best home builder in the Twin Cities with the best reviews and best recommendations, you still want to make sure they are the right fit for your project and that means you’ll need to ask them some questions.
You’re beginning a partnership with your home builder and you’ll be spending a lot of time with them through the project, so it’s best to know who you’re entrusting your dream to. Asking these questions will help you both have a better understanding of what you can expect as your dream home takes shape.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Custom Home Builder:
- How long have you been in business? Experience is important, you want to know that your builder has experience from getting the permit to following code. You don’t want to take any shortcuts when it comes to building your home.
- Are you licensed and insured? If the answer is “no” then it’s on to the next potential builder. Don’t waste your time with a company that is not insured or licensed. Never pull a permit for an unlicensed contractor, your home builder will pull all necessary permits.
- Do you have references that you’d be willing to share? Not all prior home owners will invite you into their home but they may talk to you on the phone. Ask for references and then be sure to check them out.
- Where do you build? Many custom home builders only build in certain areas so before you get too set on a builder find out where they build. If they don’t build in your area ask them if they can recommend a builder who does.
- How long will it take to build my home? Most builders will give you an estimate of when the home will be completed, and most will be right on schedule. Be aware that any estimate of completion is based on their schedule when they give you the estimate. If you wait months before you get started they may be booked up.
- How much will it cost? Before signing any agreement make sure you know exactly how much the builder will charge you for the project but also extras such as change orders as well as any fees that might be incurred because of the changes. Once a project is rolling changes can increase the cost of the project exponentially so know what you want before you break ground.