Have you heard of the Teal Pumpkin Project? For kids with allergies, Halloween can be a really scary time. Most prepackaged candy has one kind of allergen or another. Hopefully the allergens are listed on the package, but if you’re a parent, you know sometimes products get labeled wrong so it’s easier to forego candy altogether. Sure, that’s a lot more healthy than eating a pillowcase worth of food in one night, but it isn’t a lot of fun when all your friends get to do something and you don’t. That where the Teal Pumpkin Project comes in.
Thanks to FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) there’s the Teal Pumpkin Project. By giving out non food items and placing a teal pumpkin on your porch on Halloween you’re letting kids with allergies know they can enjoy Halloween just like everyone else.
The Teal Pumpkin Project
FARE’s Teal Pumpkin Project® is a worldwide movement to create a safer, happier Halloween for all kids. Putting a teal pumpkin on your doorstep means you have non-food treats available, such as glow sticks or small toys. This simple act promotes inclusion for trick-or-treaters with food allergies or other conditions.
How to Take Part
- Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters
- Place a teal pumpkin in front of your home to indicate to passersby that you have non-food treats available
- Display a free printable sign or premium poster from FARE to explain the meaning of your teal pumpkin
Support the Project
Do you want to help spread the Teal Pumpkin Project’s messages of a safer, happier Halloween for all? You can support FARE and the Teal Pumpkin Project in a variety of ways:
- Order official merchandise, including t-shirts and the Teal Pumpkin Project Halloween Essentials Kit
- Host a Teal Pumpkin Project inspired fundraising event to support FARE
- Make a donation to support the Teal Pumpkin Project and receive a free gift
- Want to get involved during your workday? It’s easy to make a difference in your office, restaurant, or store. You can show your customers you care and are supportive of the food allergy community. Download the Small Business Guide to the Teal Pumpkin Project and the digital postcard to get started today.
Spread the Word
- Add your home to the official Teal Pumpkin Project Fever Map
- Download free flyers to get your neighbors involved
- Use the hashtag #tealpumpkinproject to help us spread the word
Enter your teal pumpkin in our contest by using #tealpumpkincontest and tagging us @FoodAllergy on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.