Choosing a home remodeler can be a bit overwhelming if this is the first time you’ve embarked on home remodel. As home remodelers in the Twin Cities, we know there are many great companies to choose from as well as many really bad companies. Choosing a home remodelers doesn’t have to be difficult and with these tips for choosing a remodelers in the Twin Cities you can find the best contractor to suit your needs.
Tips for Choosing a Remodeler in the Twin Cities
1. Ask friends for referrals – Everyone knows someone who has survived a kitchen, bathroom or bedroom remodel. You’ve probably heard at least one horror story about a remodel gone wrong. Talk to your friends and family and find out who they recommend.
2. Utilize the internet and review sites – Once you have a list of contractors you can go to websites like Yelp, Angie’s List or Home Advisors and read reviews about contractors (these are also good places to start your search if you have no referrals from friends and family). Some of these sites require a membership so be mindful of that. You can also see testimonials on most home builders and remodelers websites.
3. Check credentials – If a contractor isn’t licensed or insured you should move on and find someone else who is.
4. Check references – Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential contractors it’s time to start checking references. Don’t skip this part, it’s too important. Ask the contractor for references from past clients and then be sure to connect with them. Questions to ask might include – was the project completed on time? Was the remodel completed with budget? How easy was it to communicate with the general contractor? Is there anything that could have been done differently for a better outcome? Would you use these home remodelers again?
5. Get Bids – Now it’s time to get the bids. If all things were equal it would be easy to choose your home remodeler, you’d choose the lowest bid. But it doesn’t work that way in the real world. Provided all of your potential contractors are licensed and insured and you’ve checked their referrals there could still be some things that set them apart from other builders. Personality is important, you will be working closely with this person for an extended period of time so it’s important to be compatible. Being available when you need them is also important. One contractor may be able to start your remodel sooner than others.
Choosing a home remodelers doesn’t have to be overwhelming, if you follow these tips for choosing a home remodeler in the Twin Cities you’re bound to find a company that will fill all of your home remodeling needs.
If you’re thinking about a remodel, we’d love to talk to you. Give us a call at 651-429-8032 to learn more about our remodeling services in the Twin Cities.